Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Trip to No. California

I had a great four day weekend driving up to No. California to visit friends and relatives. The hills of the great central valley were green from all the rain we've been having and the wild flowers are starting to come up. Lupine, mustard and a few poppies added color to the verdant hillsides along Hiway 101. I went straight to my aunt and uncles home for some great conversation and catching up and then off we went for a delicious dinner at Cappilini's with my cousin, Laurie and her husband David. The next morning we went to the San Mateo Farmers Market. So fun to see the different things they have that we don't in Santa Barbara. Lots of beautiful flowers, fresh vegetables along with fresh baked goods froma French bakery in Burlingame. We grabbed a few goodies for our breakfast enjoyed in the garden outside before heading back up to my aunt and uncles.
Beautiful fresh vegies....
Vine ripened tomatoes...
Kale...
They even had a few cupcakes!
On Saturday we drove over to Woodside and had a fun lunch at Buck's, one of my relatives favorite spots. It is covered from floor to ceiling with crazy statues and all manner of odd things.




Giant carved fish sculpture outside Buck's...
We managed to connect with an old family friend, Christopher Richard, who is the curator of aquatic biology at the Oakland Museum of California. He brought his friend Nelia over and we had a great reunion after many years. Our mothers were best friends and we spent many days playing together when we were little. This is Chris, my cousin Laurie, and Uncle Dicko and me.
We spent the whole day together and after lots of hugs headed back to Laurie and Davids for dinner and watched the DVD "Across the Universe". Monday morning I had to head for home, but not before checking out some fun shops in Palo Alto. I enjoyed a show at the Modernbook Gallery and had a delicious Mayan mocha from the Coupa Cafe and headed on down the road
for home.
I took a little detour so I could visit Cambria, one of my favorite places and stopped in to check out "Birds of a Feather" a wonderful little shop with antiques, ribbon, books, cards and many other one of a kind treasures. While there I spotted some felt hearts from Charlotte Lyons and Marny Cardin's lovely french knot creations.
Inside "Birds of a Feather"...
Charlotte's hearts!
I got a warm cup of Chai latte to go and was home in 2 hours in time for dinner with my boys!

6 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

What a great road trip!!!!! You have such wonderful places to visit and shop ~ love that carved fish ~ the cute shops ~ the beautiful produce! What we have here is SNOW!!!!!!!!!

Diane said...

Hi Mary,
Thank you for the vertual trip! I'd love to explore the shops and resturants you shared. So inviting!
I too love the carved fish what a neat piece.
Diane M.

Tara's Art Camp said...

I am glad you are home safely. What great photos,,,it looks like you had a great time,,,now you have to go visit my friend in Morro Bay!
xo...
Taravagman

Marie said...

I love the San Francisco area! I feel like I got to go with you just looking at those pictures and how lovely that you spent time with family. Those are precious moments
: )
The restaurants and shops look like so much fun! That mocha drink sounded fabulous. Glad you are home
safe <3

Gayle said...

Thanks for telling us about Birds of a Feather - I'll be spending a week in Cambria for Gene Shepherd's rug camp - now I'll know not to miss this fun store!

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Hello!

I'm going to Birds of a Feather today, I live about a mile away!
Love reading about all the fabric stores down your way, and up this way too.
xx
julie