Friday, June 04, 2010

What I'm working on....

Here is my piece for Art from Scrap that I am working on. It's actually almost done but I just thought of one more thing I want to do. The birds below have now been attached to the leafy ring and they hang down about 4 inches. I think I may call it "Ode to Spring" or something like that. Behind my piece is a painting that I have been working on....every month or so I decide to "fix" something that bothers me and then I may not work on it for months or even a year!


I just had to make more of the vintage pin cushions! I like the variety of colors when they are all mixed up together. I may try on put a few buttons on the dark ones...one at each corner around the center square and see if I like it. Thanks for your input...it's great to have fresh eyes when you are working on a project.

It's always nice to have a good friend who works at a bookstore! My art pal Penny gave me this book by Kaari Meng and I thought I'd share it with you...at least a couple of pages! The photography is beautiful and if you like vintage buttons and trims you may need this book. There is a craft section in the back with some fun projects using all the wonderful notions depicted.



And one more that I wanted to share....I don't know the title of this book because it is written in Japanese but it has the most wonderful button jewelry and so I had to buy it when we were in Seattle at the Kinokuniya Bookstore downtown. ISBN4-579-11063-3 if you want to try and track it down.
I love buttons and keep thinking I will get it together and make some fun button jewelry...maybe before next Christmas! Looking at the pictures in these two books may get me started...

Dolls I made using recycled fabric. The doll bodies came from a kilim purse I found at the thrift store and deconstructed and the faces came from fabric samples from Art from Scrap. Doll hair is fringe from felted scarves and blankets.
Not sure if these are sisters or a mother and 2 daughters....

7 comments:

Syd said...

AFS piece is fantastic!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I like your mobile and I LOVE your painting ~ such soft colors ~ it would make a good hooked rug pattern!!!

Morna Crites-Moore said...

This is a great post! Love your Bluebirds of Happiness! And the painting is wonderful, too! And that book ... looks delicious ... I'll go look for it now! Thanks, Mary!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

You've been a busy woman! Love the "Ode to Spring," and the dolls. I may not be able to resist that Meng book -- thanks for sharing the info.

Art4Sol said...

You never seem to run out of new and exciting ideas...always enjoy my visits!

Ro Bruhn said...

Love it all. Your blue birds are fabulous as is your painting in the background.

mimi k said...

Love your girls- as always! :-)